Friday, June 7, 2013

Ultrasound


We had our ultrasound on May 29. So much fun! There's no feeling in the world like seeing your baby for the first time--its tiny thumb reaching for its mouth and its feet kicking wildly at nothing.

We found out three pieces of crucial information: 

1. There's only one in there! Twins run rampant in both of our families, so our minds harbored overwhelming thoughts about the potential of multiples during both pregnancies' early stages.

I actually asked the ultrasound technician, "Is there any chance you're just not seeing the second baby? Could it be hidden behind this one?" 

"Not a chance," she replied. Whew! 

2. I'm further along than I thought. I thought I was around 16 weeks, and I was actually 18. Those were the fastest two weeks of pregnancy ever! (The ultrasound was a week ago, so now I'm more like 19.)

3. Since we were far enough along, the technician was easily able to determine gender. And, it's a...GIRL!! We are so excited! 

The logical side of my brain anticipated a boy since the baby's heart rate was the exact same as Grady's (145-150), but whenever I thought of the baby's arrival, I kept picturing a girl. Guess there's something to be said for a mother's intuition!

I'm still feeling great. No pregnancy symptoms except for my ever-expanding waistline! 

Darla, Rhya, and Brielle came to take care of Grady during the ultrasound. Darla sent this picture of the kids devouring watermelon on the front porch. This has got to be my favorite cousin picture yet! Although I can't wait until there's one more little girl sitting next to them on the step...

In the meantime, we'll just keep examining and re-examining her pictures. Look at her profile--doesn't it look like she has Grady's little button nose? 

4 comments:

  1. Be careful about changing your due date on account of an ultrasound. If we had, Elliot would have been 3 weeks late instead of 1 :) Such cute babies! (yes...they're ALL babies!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a fun day!! Now to have the patience to wait til November! Can't WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri--I totally agree! We didn't have a good basis for determining the first date, though, so since we had to base it off of something, we chose the ultrasound. We're not sharing the specific date...don't want the pressure like last time! I believe babies come when they're ready.

    Darla: A fourth cousin. Wow! It's going to be so much fun. Thanks for watching G during the ultrasound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful family, and you have such an amazing kids! It's really exciting to see your baby in a that little screen, much more when you're able to know its gender. And I agree, sometimes ultrasound cannot be reliable for the exact due date, just be ready.

    ReplyDelete