Monday, September 26, 2011

In the Mood for Comfort Food

I held on to summer as long as possible, but the time has come to embrace fall's requisite pumpkin mochas, tall boots, and crunchy walks.  And apples...not much captures fall's essence better than a crisp orchard apple. Unless, that is, you're talking fresh apple crisp topped with a dollop of ice cream or warm, streusel-covered apple bread.
In the spirt of the season, I thought I'd share my favorite apple bread recipe.  I don't know the original source--it's a spattered recipe that's been in my cookbook forever.    

• Cream 1/2 cup shortening, 1 cup sugar, and 2 eggs.
• Mix and add: 2 Tbsp. buttermilk and 1 tsp. soda.
• Sift and add: 1/2 tsp. salt and 2 cups flour.
• Add: 2 cups chopped apples and 1 tsp. vanilla
• Pour mixture into greased loaf pan
• Crumble the following mixed streusel ingredients over batter before baking:  2 Tbsp. butter, 3 Tbsp. sugar, 3 Tbsp. flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon.
• Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, then at 300 degrees for 60 minutes longer.  

No, this bread won't win any health awards.  But if it helps you accept the season of cooler weather and longer nights, it's well worth it!

If this puts you in the mood for more fall cooking and baking, check out some more of my favorite recipes:

Slow Cooker Taco Soup So delicious served with Fritos, sour cream, and melted cheese on top!
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins I must really be into this apple/streusel thing.
Pumpkin Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup Pumpkin in waffles? Genius! Mike and I discovered this recipe last fall and couldn't get enough.  The apple cider syrup perfectly complements the pumpkin flavor and is well worth the extra effort.  

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment